The home site of the Round Hill Society, a community group of the residents of Round Hill in Brighton, England. The site contains information about the area, latest news and reflections on life in Round Hill.
Picture: thanks to Adrian Powter
Round Hill on Twitter - if you have a Twitter Account, you can follow other Round Hill residents' Tweets (i.e. short messages) at https://twitter.com/RoundhillSoc.
Committee Page containing the Minutes of recent meetings
The Round Hill Reporter
Past issues of our printed newsletter 'The Round Hill Reporter' can be downloaded (in PDF format) from here. The most recent issue is
1. Visit London Road website | blog
2. The Duke of York's Picture House Preston Circus
3. Emporium, Brighton - upcoming events - 88 London Road
4. Free University Brighton - upcoming events
5. Brighton & Hove Arts Diary
6. Arts | Music | Theatre | Cinema
7. Sussex Concerts
8. East Sussex CC: Music, Art & Cultural Events
9. The Brighton Society - talks, lectures & exhibitions.
10. Regency Society 2013-14 lectures and events.
11. Hove Civic Society - lectures & events.
12. Sussex Industrial Archeology Society own meetings and similar
13. English Speaking Union lectures at The Hove Club, Fourth Av.
14. Walks - unguided, guided, longer and shorter
15. Healthwalks programme (PDF) valid until Autumn 2014.
16. walk & bus circuits from Round Hill
17. Friends of Hollingbury Woods
18. Prince Regent Swimming Complex Pools Programme
Free Swimming for children aged 11 or under
19. See also The Argus - events page
Tuesday 2nd September 2014 from 1.10 to 1.55 - Live lunchtime concert Chapel Royal, North Street Brighton
Edmund & Margaret Crutchfield (2 clar) Jeremy Cooke (pno) - Mendelssohn Debussy
Tuesday 2nd September 2014 at 7.30pm - Triangle Community Local History Group - The Bugle Pub 24 St. Martins Street, Brighton, BN2 3HJ
(back bar area) Round Hill residents welcome.
(normally meets 1st Tuesday of each month at 7.30pm for one hour).
Jennifer Jones and Mark Richey - Soprano/Piano
Wednesday 3rd September 2014 1pm-2pm All Saints Church Hove 2014 Lunchtime Recitals - Zaffre Flute and Harp Duo (Flute and Harp)
Sunday 7th September 2014 10am - 1pm Friends of Hollingbury Woods - Snowdrop and Tennis Glade South clearance - Hollingbury Woods.
Easy access trail. Click here to learn about Hollingbury Hillfort. FHBW's Facebook Page.
Wednesday 10th September 2014 8pm - English Folk Tune Sessions (on the second Wednesday of each month) at The Park Crescent Pub, 39 Park Crescent Terrace, BN2 3HE. An informal session - come along to listen or bring an instrument and join in (all welcome whatever your skill level).
Friday, 12th September 2014 7.30pm St Luke's Church, Queens Park Road BN2 0GG - Klio Blonz (flute) and Siobhan Swider (harp) will perform well-known works by Vivaldi and Faure alongside Ravel’s and Debussy’s Impressionism, the mysticism of Indian Ragas, the energetic and playful character of Chopin’ s Variations as well as Hovhaness’ haunting beauty, giving this programme its beauty and originality.
The Environment Agency has recently responded to residents reporting odour nuisance from The Waste Transfer Station during the period August 2013 to August 2014. Chris Parkin, Environment Officer's verdict:
I have identified the 2 biggest problems which cause odour nuisance - the design of the building and the nature of the waste received. The primary odorous source is the food waste contained within domestic refuse. The only possible way to remove that is for the local council to instigate separate waste collections for food waste, which would be a huge undertaking for them. I am planning to arrange a meeting with Brighton City Council in the near future to discuss with them whether this option is feasible/but I must stress it is not within my power to compel them to do this. Veolia would be happy with this option and have the facilities to do so if required.
Click here for The Environment Agency's full response which residents who wish to say goodbye to smells from vast quantities of poorly located food waste may wish to follow up with their MP as well as those hoping to serve on Brighton and Hove City Council in forthcoming elections.
From the MP representing Brighton Pavilion Constituency, we need
From Councillors representing St Peter's & North Laine ward and Brighton and Hove City Council, we need a commitment to:
Separation of food waste would also facilitate higher recycling rate
Food waste accounts for 25%-30% of the waste stream (our black bag waste). Together Kitchen and Garden accounts for betwen 30-35%. By separating out this waste, which should not really be with the rest of the black bag waste, the 65%-70% which remains in the black bag will be a lot cleaner. This will make Materials Recovery and Recycling a lot easier.
Recent developments affecting Round Hill
Safety improvements to the Vogue gyratory system near Brighton’s Lewes Road Sainsbury’s started on July 14 and last up to five months. The second phase (commencing Monday 18 August 2014) sees the temporary closure of Upper Lewes Road at the junction with Lewes Road.
London Road Brighton - regeneration
The grand opening of Brighton's Open Market
Cllr Brian Fitch (the Mayor), Victoria (Brighton Open Market Community Interest Company), Pat Mears (trader) and Jason Kitcat (leader of BHCC)
Our new market stalls as of 19th July 2014
The Market's first song & dance performances
Brighton and Hove has many remaining historic street lights. A varied selection of these can still be found in Round Hill. But both Round Hill and Queens Park conservation areas have experienced removal of some of our most valued lamp standards and replacement with cheap substitutes which are sometimes no better in reliability. Read more....
The Level restoration project
Regeneration of this part of Brighton should also be helped when the rebuilt Open Market opens in May 2014. See article from The Argus.
Could Round Hill make itself independent from the electricity grid through photo-voltaics on the roofs both in and adjoining the area? See video clip of Balcombe example: fracking village to turn on solar panels
Report on our AGM 17 Oct 2013
Your new RHS committee elected at our AGM on Thu 17th October.
New civicbrightonandhove.co.uk website A weekly platform profiling news, information and campaigns from across the city, an opportunity for amenity societies to learn from each other. See what residents in other Brighton and Hove neighbourhoods are up to and borrow from their ideas.
Learn a musical instrument - since the time of the Prince Regent, Brighton has gained a reputation for music teaching and performance. The abundance of teachers in our city means that it is easy to find help in learning an instrument.
Friday, 12.30 - 1.15 pm from Sep 2014 Brighton Unitarian Church New Road BN1 1UF
Artists Open Houses 2014
AOH reached its 33rd year in May 2014 - look
Check out local Artists' websites directly. Most have been updated in preparation for this year's festival.
The Brighton Free University
Courses at The Friends' Centre
See Short Courses & Workshops - Summer 2014 (PDF brochure).
Collection days for refuse & recycling Round Hill area: Tue (weekly) = refuse; Tue (fortnightly) = recycling
Click here for City Clean's service update.
Following Christmas and New Year black sack refuse in Round Hill will be collected on Thursday 2 January 2014 and Wednesday 8th January 2014. Thereafter the regular collection day will carry on as Tuesdays.
CONSTITUENCY MPs: May 2010 General Election Results in Brighton Pavilion constituency.
WARD COUNCILLORS: 2011 Council election results
Greens increase their seats from 13 to 23 to become the largest Green group of councillors in the country.
St Peter's & North Laine (Council ward which includes Round Hill)
Lizzie Deane - Green Party 3407 22% Elected
Ian Davey - Green Party 3132 20% Elected
Pete West - Green Party 3043 19% Elected
South East - European Election Result 2014
[ Parties in alphabetical order - Turnout 35.4% ]
CON Richard Ashworth
CON Nirj Deva
CON Dan Hannan
GRN Keith Taylor
LAB Anneliese Dodds
LD Catherine Bearder
UKIP Janice Atkinson
UKIP Nigel Farage
UKIP Ray Finch
UKIP Diane James